Thursday 7 March 2013

Ram the Great



Ram the Great

Chapter I
Birth

         It was close to midnight as a man paced up and down the hall. Another man was sitting calmly and said, “Cor slow down. The best midwives are in there for the birth. Pacing won’t change anything. When you box you must learn to conserve your energy.” Cor looked at Corin and said, “I know it doesn’t help to pace but I can’t help it.” Then a noise made him jump. It was the noise of crying. He rushed towards the door but before he got there the door opened and he was told, “You have a son.” He entered and saw me still crying on mother’s arm. Queen Aravis was exhausted and was more a mother at that moment then a queen. She smiled as father entered and so began a, “conversation” that must have been repeated to me a hundred times. The king began, “What should we call him? Maybe Dor.” Mother answered, “No not a noble man’s name. How about an animal’s name? I would prefer a strong animal. To call him lion would almost be a blasphemy. What do you think of bear?” He looked horrified, “An animal! No way am I giving him an animal name. Aravis think of him seeing a bear cumbersome as it is and knowing we called him after that animal.” She shot back, “Calling him after a nobleman is hardly appropriate. Besides it isn’t original. If you don’t like bear how about eagle.” There was a moment silence as both glared at each other. I during that time must have gone to sleep. Then my father said, “Ram. An animal that is both swift and strong. We will call him Ram.” And so I was called from that moment onward.

Chapter II
Teenage Years

            My sword swung. I was fourteen. Blow was blocked by counter blow. Till at last I knocked the sword out of my tutor’s hand. “He is too good your Majesty. He has done this three times today.” I smiled at the compliment. My father drew his sword. Our two swords met. Within minutes my sword flew from my hand. Father then said, “He is getting better but he needs practice.” Then I went to the Parliament. Among other things my father said, “According to the customs of Archenland I proclaim my son mine heir.” A nobleman named Archin (brother of Arch) stood up and said, “A half Calormen to rule over us!” My mother’s eyes shot out lightning bolts. The king kept his calm. “Sit down Archin. You already protested my queen on the day we were crowned.” The nobleman sat down but the anger in his eyes was still there. Now I knew why mother refused me to be called after a nobleman although Dor was a friend of the early days of father. Father continued, “As mine heir let the traditional oaths be taken.” Some trouble was in the air. When it came the turn of certain noblemen they rattled off as quickly as they could.
         Two years came and went. Then I saw her. It was a gathering of different noblemen and their families. She just smiled at me and I was caught. I had hunted wild animals before but I had never chased a women. I asked father about her and he smiled, “That is Marian daughter of Dor. She was born a year before you. I recognize her father’s features though she does take after her mother.” I had of course talked at length with Dor and had heard of Marian but I hadn’t in my memory seen her before. I moved skillfully towards her. I then said, “Marian I am…” She finished for me, “Ram son of Cor son of Lune…” I cut her off with a laugh, “I could do the same trick to you.” She said, “Really you could name my grandfather?” I nodded, “Gal.” She smiled, “You are one of the first.” Then she went outside. I followed think through some pretext in case she asked me if I was following her. She stopped turned to me and asked, “Did you use the bow?” I answered, “One needs to in order to hunt.” She said, “Let us see then how often you hunt.” She handed me a nearby bow and I took it along with an arrow. I have to admit I was more into swords then bows but I wasn’t about to admit it. I drew the bow and shot an arrow into the golden area. She smiled and took the bow. She drew it and I admired her during that time. After the shot was done I looked and saw she shot within the innermost circle. Then she said, “By the Lion you don’t shoot very well the distance is barely ten paces.” I looked at her unable to answer. Then I said, “I suppose you are like my mother you love hunting.” She laughed and said, “I love the hunt. The only problem is that the men who love hunting are not of the best sort or at least not my sort.” I said, “Will you watch the sword contest tomorrow?” She answered, “What is the interest in that? Your father always wins.” I answered, “I will be entering the contest for the first time.” She smiled and nodded, “Then I will watch.”
         The sun was rising and the sword contest was about to begin. My eyes scanned the crowd till I saw Marian. She was looking at me. The trumpets sounded and two men approached and began the combat. The fighting was expected to last hours. No shield no armor and no bloodshed were allowed. After a while it was my turn to meet an adversary. His sword soon flew from his hand. My father easily defeated his first opponent and soon it became evident that despite my young age I would be a champion. Shouts of “Ram, Ram” began to fill the air when I got on though more shouted for my father. Finally there was a meal break then the contest continued. Finally only two men were left. Me and my father shouts of, “Cor, Cor” went out. Most knew I was a champion to have gotten this far but my father had won every competition for years. I let it all pass over me. I knew what I had to do. I stepped forward and met my father. Sword met sword and for four hours we fought. The crowd had gone silent. No fight had gone for so long. Obviously we were closely matched. The sun began to set and there was whisperings that the contest might have to be put off for tomorrow. Suddenly my father’s sword flew from his hand. He had made a slight miscalculation and it had cost him the competition. But he had a smile on his face and I knew why. I was his son and at sixteen had proven to be the greatest swordsman of Archenland. Dor was whispering something to his daughter and I wanted to know what but I had to stay in the ring while receiving my prize from my mother who was used to giving it to father.
         That evening I was beset by noblemen’s daughters all wanting to meet this champion and prince. Marian was the last to come. I asked, “What did your father ask you when I had won.” She blushed, “Don’t tell me you kept an eye out for me.” There was definite shyness in her voice. Then she said quickly, “He wanted to know what we talked about yesterday.” Then I said, “In contest such as these it is a custom for every champion to name the woman that will give the prize next year. Unmarried noblewomen from all over Archenland have been asking me for the right to be that women. Do you want me to name you?” She lowered her face and answered, “But I’m only seventeen.” I smiled, “And I’m only sixteen. Besides half the women who asked me were no older then yourself.” She hesitated and said, “I used to dream of being the women to give out the prize to a young and handsome champion like you. I will accept on one condition only. I want to give the prize to you don’t loose to your father. Please don’t do that to me.” I agreed. The next day she left. It was a year till I saw her again. Archenland was small but I just didn’t have the courage to go near Dor’s estate.
         Sword after sword flew till at last father and son met again. This time the fight lasted five and a half hours. Then I did it. The sword of my father flew into the air disqualifying him. My father said, “I see you pulled a trick on me. One I never knew.” I smiled and said, “As far as I know I invented it father.” He smiled and said, “Ram’s trick.” And that is what they call it till the last I heard of. I went forward to get my prize from Marian. Mother had a mischievous smile. After all to choose a certain women to give the prize was to declare that at least you were romantically interested and at most that you were in-loved. To tell the truth I wasn’t a hundred percent sure which I was. But when I looked in her eyes I knew. Something pure something right, kindness and something else. Suddenly it dawned on me, love. Did she really love me or was I imagining things. Or was it gratitude. She had always dreamed of giving the prize and this was a dream come true. It was customary to say something when receiving the prize. I opened my mouth and said, “Lady Marian it was an honor to compete in your eyesight.” She too was supposed to say something and so, “Sir Ram I believe that never has a swordsman ever been more admired by a woman as I have admired you.” She handed me the prize and I took it wishing I could have her heart as easily. But truly the way to get a woman’s heart I reminded myself is to give her your own. A tactic which may be dangerous but sometimes brings results. Normally the next day everyone left but mother had other plans.
         “You did what?” I was surprised and furious at the same time. Mother didn’t flinch. “I invited Dor to stay with his family for a fortnight. He is a friend of father’s and they haven’t seen each other for several years except for parliament and these competitions. Now they can see each other more.” Two weeks with Marian at the palace. I suspected this was the real reason why mother had invited Dor. The next day I was invited to play chess with Marian. This I was confident I could win. No one my age beat me at chess. Marian asked me, “Why didn’t you tell me the first day that you preferred swords to the bow?” During that time she did a classical opening. I smiled and matched her opening while saying, “Wouldn’t I sound like if I was trying to make up for my weakness?” She answered, “No you would have simply pointed out your strong point.” Shortly after this I won the game of chess. She bit her lower lip then said, “You could have also told me that you were good at chess.” Finally we discussed the origin of all things. She started, “Aslan creator of all things he gave the dance of the stars and created the animals giving to some speech and others he left speechless.” I answered, “But what of us humans? Did Aslan create us?” She said, “He must have. He brought Queen Helen from another world.” I added, “But did he create humans in that world or did he merely transport her from another world?” She laughed, “If he transported her from another world he must have power in that world too. Besides how would that world exist unless Aslan created it?” I nodded at the logic of this. I then said, “Have you ever seen Aslan?” She shook her head in a negative response. I answered, “Neither have I. It would be wonderful to see him just once.” The days passed as we went ridding, hunting and diverse activity. Finally the two weeks approached an end. Marian said, “Is there anything you want to tell me before we leave?” I hesitated and then said, “What about you is there anything?” She leaned forward and kissed me. She then ran off and disappeared till it was time for their party to leave. I caught the bridle of her horse and said, “Good-bye Marian and thank you.” Then they rode towards their home.

Chapter III
Early Manhood

/N About the dance between Cor and Aravis please see my other story, “Cor and Aravis”

         I was eighteen that day. I was a man according to Archenland law. I was looking forward to meeting Marian again in two weeks time because of the sword competition. Little did I know that I would see her before then. Mother was ordering servants around an unusual thing in the North where polite orders were more common. This meant that either she was in an emergency or else she was being forgetful. I supposed it was the first. “Ram good you are here. This is your eighteenth birthday and according to Archenland law all nobles and their families will gather to watch your passage into manhood.” The shock must have registered on my face because she said, “I’m sorry I too forgot but that is why you must prepare immediately.” And so prepare I did. There were naturally hundreds of guests but my eyes scanned the new arrivals till at last it spotted Marian. She was with her father and as always beautiful and with a light in her eyes. After the meal it was time to dance and I invited her to dance. I know my mother fell in-loved with my father during a dance. But I was already in-loved and I believe she was too. As we started the dance she whispered, “I saw him.” I inquired, “Who?” She answered, “Aslan.” I asked, “What did he say?” She hesitated then said, “He answered my discussion with you.” I didn’t know if she was joking or serious but she sounded and looked serious. I decided that if it were a joke I would play along and if not I would find out more. “So what was the answer?” She declared, “He said, ‘I made humans too only in their world I have a different shape.’” I hesitated then said, “The world where humans are from. It has an interesting ring.” The music stopped and we each went to our respective rooms. Two weeks passed and then another sword contest and another victory. This time my words were, “Lady Marian will you be Princess Marian?” There was a gasp from most of the crowd. Uncle Corin began to laugh. Dor smiled. Father still in the lists was looking at mother. Mother beat them all with a look of knowing conspiracy as if I had told her or asked her advice. Marian stood shocked then she smiled and said, “Prince Ram do you want me to kiss you here?” I hesitated and said, “I think a more private place would be in order.”  This was going beyond the few words normally exchanged. She smiled and handed me the prize. I took it wondering if her reply meant yes or just romance. Mother more used to these answers got up and said, “When is the marriage Prince Ram and Lady Marian? Or do you still have to decide?” I answered her. “It is still in the works.” Marian nodded silently. Dor stood up and said, “I have seen surprises in my time but this… this is the most amazing of all. I knew you two had an eye for each other but to declare it to the whole realm?” Then he looked at his daughter and added, “And from the look of it you even took your fiancé by surprise.” I declared, “I admit I didn’t even tell her about it before hand.” What I didn’t say is that I hadn’t even asked her in private. I started off by declaring it to the whole kingdom.
         There is little to say about the marriage. The night that followed is not the topic of this narrative. Suffice it to say that nine months latter a princess was born called Elise.

Chapter IV
Coronation

         Father was sick. I was a twenty year old young man when it happened. He had a fever and it kept getting worse. Mother begged Aslan to come and help but my father died. My mother wept. Lady Marian did too. Even Elise cried though how much a one year old can understand is difficult to determine. I however had to keep calm long enough to ask the doctor one question. “Was it poison?” A possibility, it was always a possibility. The doctor answered, “No not in the knowledge that I posses.” Then I ran outside and wept. It was night and I looked towards the east screaming, “Why! Aslan why!” Then I looked up at the stars and said, “Stars I hate you! Your dance permits one to know certain things. When stars of good come close to each other we say it will be good coming and usually it is. When stars of evil come together we say their will be evil and usually there is. Behold the centaurs of Narnia said that good stars have come together and the worst in the sky was the star of famine. Why then is a king dead? Stars evil has come upon the land and you have not predicted it. A curse on you and a curse on your dance master.” That was the blasphemy I uttered that night, though I didn’t do it directly.
         The nobles gathered around and placed the crown upon my head while I recited that I would uphold the law and would owe allegiance to Aslan. I had repented that very night of the words I had said. I loved my father and had spoken too quickly. Once again some noblemen rattled off their oath at top speed. Then I was declared to be king. Aravis became queen mother. And Marian became Queen Marian.

Chapter V
Famine

         That year there was a famine. I couldn’t bring food from Narnia so we bought it from islands. The news of the arrival of bread came in and I went to inspect. “Half the bread we bought is stale.” I was angry inside but what could we do? “Give the stale bread to me and the nobles and give the rest to the common man.” The first parliament I sat in was in rage, “How dare you mistreat us in this fashion?” Archin said. I replied, “As my grandfather said, ‘When you are king you must eat the worst food during famine and wear the worst clothes and be content with it.’ I am doing my duty as king. I suggest you do your duty as noblemen.” Dor clapped and some others joined in. But as I walked out of parliament the crowd was dense. Why when parliament didn’t interest most? A cry went out. “Long live King Ram. Long live King Ram. Long live the king.” The noblemen realized that they better show their support or run the risk of loosing face at best. Even Archin got involved swearing up and down that, “I have always been in support of King Ram.” People were starting to call me Ram the generous but the story is only beginning. That year I bought what was needed to plant by selling some of the horses that we had extra to Narnia then I distributed what was necessary to plant to the people free of charge. The next year the harvest was better and the name Ram the generous seemed fixed to me if other events hadn’t happened.

Chapter VI
Narnia

         “King Ram although this is only the third year of your reign you have proven competent we come on important busyness.” The phoenix said. I had rarely seen such a bird only heard of them. I answered, “What do you mean only the third year of my reign I have proven competent? Is Narnia in need of my help? That would be the first. Normally we ask Narnia for help.” There was some chuckling around the table. But the phoenix didn’t laugh. Instead it said in a melodic voice, “Because Taumnus the faun is dead. We remember that the first kings and queens of Narnia are relatives to you. We come to you to… ask you if you would accept becoming king of Narnia.” The thought staggered me king of all the Northlands or at least all the civilized Northlands. There were of course the giants but they hardly counted as a civilization. I knew however that I could not make such an important decision on my own. “Wait till tomorrow then I will tell you my decision.” I asked first Marian. “It’s a lot of responsibility but I know you can do it. Accept is my advice. Of course I won’t be the one doing most of the decision making and so you will have to do it. The final choice is yours.” I asked the parliament that evening. They unanimously told me to accept. That night when I was in my room I suddenly awoke and there in front of me was Aslan. I whispered, “What are you doing here.” He was tall and somewhat frightening I had to whisper anything louder might have been disrespectful. He said, “My son you have received news that Narnia wants you to be king. It is not my will that these two lands have a common king.” I then answered, “So should I refuse?” He shook his head and said, “Narnia wants you to rule over them. But that doesn’t mean they want your descendants to rule after you.” I nodded in understanding. He then added, “By the way the fact that the good stars were close to each other predicated that your reign would begin that is why they were the way they were.” The next day I told the phoenix what I had decided in my heart. “I will rule Narnia but not as king as regent.” The phoenix said, “What is the difference?” I answered, “One day either Narnia will want me or one of my descendants to cease to rule over them. That day Narnia will be able to be independent again.” The phoenix nodded and flew off with my decision. The Narnians accepted well my conditions. Months passed with a lot of hectic work to do. Then news came from the north. “The giants have crossed into Narnia. We beg you to come quickly and bring in the army.” Within hours fifty Archenlanders and myself crossed the mountains separating Narnia and Archenland. I soon told the general centaur to gather the army of Narnia. We then launched a counter attack. Then we crossed into giant territory and beat them so badly that they agreed to pay tribute to us.

Chapter VII
Champion of the Mainland

         After a sword competition that included anyone who wished it from Narnia in which I proved again the greatest swordsman ambassadors came from Calormen. The ambassador said, “We are interested in a single battle between yourself and our champion. If you are killed then your only daughter will marry the heir to the Tisroc. But if you kill him then we will pay a thousand crescents a year to your Majesties treasury. What do you say?” I replied, “I don’t see the need of us killing each other.” The important man said, “But if you aren’t killed then what will be the use of it?” I nearly laughed at their assurance that I would loose. But I withheld myself. Mother was here and her former home always had a slight romance to it. Insulting an ambassador wouldn’t pass well with her. Instead we discussed the date of the fight. The day came and the sword met scimitar. I finally knocked the sword out of my opponent’s hand. I said, “Surrender for I have defeated you.” But he ran and picked up his scimitar to the booing of my side. Six times I defeated him and six times he continued the fight till at last the sun began to set and even the Calormens (who up till now had let him be) declared him defeated. With a growl he put his scimitar back and said, “You son of a male dog and a run away Tarkeena since you are my nephew I hopped to kill you but you are a wicked swordsman.” My head reeled as I realized who he was. Mother had talked often about a boy that was only a baby when she had left. This was my uncle to the same extent as uncle Corin. Even though I knew that he hated me I said, “May the stars look over you uncle.” From then on we got a thousand crescents a year from the south which we melted and coined our own coins from. It was also know that by defeating the champion of Calorma I had become champion of the mainland. Only a few islands which refused to send a champion remained unable to know if I were a better champion or if their champion was better. Men called me more and more Ram the Great.

Chapter VIII
What Followed Afterwards

         I Queen Mother Marian do finish this tale. After a relatively long reign the King Ram (whom all Archenland and Narnia add the name Great to) died. At his daughter’s coronation they were beginning to say regent of Narnia when a centaur spoke up. “We will not accept a woman to sit as regent of Narnia. We have no record of any woman ruling Narnia except the White Witch. We will rule ourselves through a council.” And that is the last we heard of Narnia. There will probably never come a king as great or has generous or even (if I am not biased) more loving then King Ram the Great.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment